Reading Vacation's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Mar 09, 11

Read in February, 2011

Grab some sunscreen and an iced tea, it’s going to get hot around here. After solving the Maze, Thomas and the Gladers are facing a new challenge – the Scorch. It’s like the earth turned into the surface of the sun. There is devastation everywhere. With amazing descriptions, I felt like I was right there in the Scorch.

In classic dystopian style, the world has become a wasteland with a group of deranged leaders. In this case, the Creators (aka WICKED) are calling the shots. In a way, I can understand why the leaders are doing all of this, they are ultimately trying to save the world. But, my gosh, it is so cruel. The whole rock and hard place thing is part of why I love this book so much.

The Cranks are introduced as innocent people who have been infected with the Flare. They are like savage animals who act on instinct alone. A heartbreaking twist that added to the drama.

Another new character is Group B. They are the complete opposite of the Gladers because they are all girls with one boy. Instead of facing the Scorch above ground, Group B is forced to travel underground in a tunnel. The ultimate goal of Group B, as assigned by the WICKED, is stunning and pure evil.

Thomas is still the cunning boy from The Maze Runner. I see him as more of a leader now. He is not as innocent now nor is he as trusting. It is a great transformation. As for Teresa, she remains a mystery.

I am looking forward to this fall when The Death Cure releases. I can’t wait to read what James Dashner has in store for Thomas next after this cliff-hanger ending.

RATING

5 Loved

COVER COMMENTS

This cover looks hot – as in temperature hot – as in SCORCHING hot. I love that the lightning is included since it was mentioned in the story. The buildings look deserted and everything just looks dead. The scene is just as James Dashner described it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.