Reading Vacation's Reviews > The Queen's Daughter

The Queen's Daughter by Susan Coventry

Mar 09, 11

Read in February, 2011

The Queen’s Daughter is straight-up historical fiction. There is no time-travel of a modern girl to medieval times. There is no fantasy or paranormal element. What you get is the real deal – historical fiction based on true facts.

Susan Coventry includes all sorts of historical details about both the time and place. I like that she works in explanations of the political climate so that everything makes sense.

Joan lives a luxurious royal lifestyle as a young princess. Oh, but there is trouble behind the scenes. Joan’s parents (Queen Eleanor and King Henry II) and her brothers fight with each other all the time. They disagree on all sorts of things like who should own which castle and who should have control of England. Can you even imagine?

Joan’s story is told from her point of view from the age of 7 to around 30. I am shocked that Joan is forced to marry the king of Sicily when she is my age – eleven. My gosh, that is just crazy! I really feel bad for Joan because this marriage is arranged for purely political reasons. It’s just so wrong.

Despite her situation, Joan remains strong and resilient. She makes rational decisions that benefit both her and whoever is depending on her. Joan is the type of girl who takes a bad situation and turns it around as best she can.

Thankfully, the ending brings some happiness for Joan. After all of her struggles, it is nice to see that she had some joy in her life.

4 Liked

How pretty! I think they chose a nice time in Joan’s life for this cover. She is just beautiful – her face, her hair, her dress. Love this cover.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Daughter.