Reading Vacation's Reviews > Miles from Ordinary

Miles from Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams

Mar 09, 11

Read in March, 2011

Powerful would be an understatement. Miles From Ordinary goes where other young adult books seldom go as it explores the world of mental illness.

Lacey is a young teen whose dream of a normal life is not realistic because she is the caregiver to her mentally ill mother. Facing this serious situation, Lacey is forced to grow up quickly. I found myself completely drawn into Lacey’s world. A world of fear and vulnerability – love and family bonds.

Carol Lynch Williams slowly drops bits of the past into her story. She lets the reader discover why Lacey’s mother has become the way she has and why Lacey’s aunt left them. This is probably my favorite part of reading Miles From Ordinary – the beautiful way this disturbing story is laid out and presented.

The ending is horrific and it was difficult for me to get through. I am so thankful that my life is not like Lacey’s. I have a whole new respect for people who suffer from a mental illness.

RATING

4 Liked

COVER COMMENTS

An extreme close-up of Lacey where she seems to be in disbelief. Her disheveled hair shows the uncertainty of her life. Yeah, I like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miles from Ordinary.