Melinda's Reviews > Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation

Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: biographies
Read from March 09 to 14, 2011

This book was highly inspirational. I relished discovering such insights about Abigail Adams, Deborah Read Franklin, Martha Washington, Betsey Hamilton and all of the others presented in this book. Each was very integral during the nascent stages of this nation. I had not before realized that Martha Washington was the reason so many Revolutionary War soldiers decided to stay at Valley Forge during those horrible winters. She left Mount Vernon in others' care so that she could come support her husband and the troops with supplies, money and overall morale. Deborah Franklin was left responsible for all of her husband's affairs during his 16 years' absence from their Philadelphia home in the states, even the role of postmaster. She even defended her home by readying her gun.
Eliza Pinckney, at age 16, was left in charge of three plantations, and later devised how to grow indigo in the south. Then there were the Daughters of Liberty who thought nothing of boycotting all goods imported from England and devised means and ways of creating them at home. They began drinking tea made from basil leaves and sewed and wore dresses fashioned out of homespun.
So much more could be said, but over and over again during my reading of this book, I rallied around these formidable women. I appreciate Cokie Roberts for bringing their many accomplishments to light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Founding Mothers.