Lindsey Dice's Reviews > I Know What You Did Last Summer

Mar 09, 11

Read in February, 2011

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER by Lois Duncan
Reviewed by Lindsey Dice

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER by Lois Duncan was a very descriptive novel. In fact, it was too descriptive. The characters were pretty true to life and most of the time believable. I didn't like how the author changes the characters different points of view, it was really confusing.
I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER takes place in a small town in North Carolina, off the Atlantic Coast. Four teenagers- Helen, Barry, Julie, and Ray- who were quite tipsy were at a beach party. They decided to leave, which was obviously a stupid idea. Four teenagers who were drunk, you could just tell something bad was going to happen. Anyway, while on their way home, Barry, the drunkest of them all, wasn't paying attention to where he was driving. Then all of the sudden, he hit a little boy on a bike. Ray called 9-1-1 thinking that Barry would turn around to go help the little boy. But Barry, being a dumb, selfish teenager just kept driving.
So, about a year later Julie, the preppy little cheerleader receives a note in the mail. The note reads “I Know What You Did Last Summer.” And of course, she starts freaking out. Barry tries to calm her down by telling her that it's just a joke. But Julie is such a drama that she just keeps freaking out about it.
About a week later, Collie Wilson moves into the same apartment as Helen. That very same day, the newspaper clipping of the accident is taped up on her door. Now, Helen starts freaking out. It was pretty obvious who put the newspaper clipping there, but Helen isn't the brightest crayon in the box, so she didn't figure out who put the note there until the end of the book.
Then, Barry gets shot. Earlier that day, he received a phone call from a mysterious person. The person told Barry to meet them on the football field at midnight. In my opinion, that wasn't the smartest move. Because if some strange person called me and told me to meet them in a dark place in the middle of the night, I defiantly would not do it. So anyway, he becomes paralyzed from the wait down. Which I think serves Barry right, because anybody who leaves a little boy on the side of the road to die deserves to be punished like that.
As the story goes on the real blackmailer is revealed. But it was pretty obvious throughout the whole book who it was.
Overall, I would have given the book a three star rating. It wasn't very suspenseful and you could tell what was going to happen next. Lois Duncan should have explained the characters emotions a little bit better. Also, the author added a lot of detail through the whole book and then at the end she stopped adding detail and it left me with a lot of unanswered questions. Other than that the book was really good. But in all honesty, the movie is better than the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know What You Did Last Summer.