The UHQ Nasanta's Reviews > Her Best Friend's Brother

Her Best Friend's Brother by Kay Stockham

Mar 09, 2011

bookshelves: read-books-2011, genre-contemporary-romance, publisher-harlequin, obtained-in-swap, own, romance-baby-or-kids, romance-beta-hero, romance-small-town-love, series-0-connected-family, romance, reviewed
Read from March 07 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I don't like to read books that make me emotional or cry. I don't, and I avoid them if I can. That said, I don't regret reading this. Kay Stockham's books had been average or less for me, each new Tulane book I read getting lower and lower in the rating. This one, I give 3.5 stars - because it made me cry.

Shelby had a lot of baggage, and her troubled family background shaped the way she was and how she handled relationships. I liked it that although she was apparently beautiful (3 time beauty pageant winner), she had troublesome hives that popped up all over her body when she was stressed. She seemed like a real person, not some fantasy woman who was perfect in looks; had a made-up, superficial flaw; and who everyone loved because of her sweet personality. Shelby was not sweet. But because we spend so much time in her POV, I was able to understand her. The author really explored why Shelby couldn't trust relationships. Although I hated and got very frustrated with Shelby every time she was cruel to Luke who was so patient and kind, and refused to take the chance at love, as the author gently reminded us through Luke's POV, Shelby had cause.

If there was ever an author who made me believe that a person's family background caused a real obstacle to the story's main relationship, it was this author - at least in this book. I totally believed it. As I tried to put myself in Shelby's shoes, I could imagine that I'd probably act much in the same way. In a way, I was able to relate to her.

It's been so long since I'd read a romance novel where I could identify with the heroine and she really stood out. This heroine was flawed all the way through, but how could I hate her? She was what her life had made her, and she was real.

Where the book really grabbed me was the scene that led to Shelby finally getting her emotions out there instead of repressing them. I've read books that made my eyes water, books that made me cry. I think this is the first book that made me want to bawl. The scene when Shelby finally lets her feelings go was so raw and emotional that I couldn't help but empathize deeply. And the ending? I'm so happy for the HEA. Luke and Shelby both deserve it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Best Friend's Brother.

message 1: by Sans (new)

Sans I hate crying (gives me a migraine) but I'm tempted to read this anyway. It's part of a series?

The UHQ Nasanta Yes, but they can be read as stand-alone. The author gives each of the Tulane siblings an HEA. I think this might be #5.

I don't like crying either. That scene really surprised me but it was soo...I cannot really explain it but I completely empathized with her.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Great review, niquea! And I am with you on this one; I avoid books that make me cry.

The UHQ Nasanta Thanks, Lisa Kay! The scene I referenced took me by surprise but I think the reason why I didn't hold that scene against the book was because I was able to empathize with Shelby so that when she finally let go, it made me let go to.