Mike Noga's Reviews > Lost Books of the Bible for Dummies

Lost Books of the Bible for Dummies by Daniel L. Smith-Christopher

Mar 09, 11

This book stresses rigorous scholarship and Hermeneutic consistency

It covers a lot of the so-called "Lost" books of the Bible, books which were either left out of the "standard" Bible we all know today, or even possibly they were suppressed. The scholarship is well researched and the authors' opinions are both lucid and cogent. If you are looking for an introduction to ancient Hebrew Scriptures or researching the evolution of the Christian Biblical canon this is not a bad place for the beginner to start. They also discuss Nontrinitarians, the Gnosticism of the Cathars, Biblical hermeneutics, and Exegesis.

They also reveal a lost section of Genesis where Noah explains why he thought bringing mosquitoes aboard the Ark was such a bright idea, and the lost passage in Exodus that reveals that Moses actually wanted to open a deli at the top of Mt. Sinai: Moe's Original 2nd Avenue Deli. (Not enough foot traffic!)

Even though I am a Biblical scholar I never knew that there was, in addition to the Book of Numbers, a book of Lucky Numbers, and the Book of Mrs. Paul, which finally explains why Catholics must not eat meat on Fridays during Lent.

Finally there is an exhaustive list of quotes that most students of scripture were unaware are historically attributed to Jesus, including: "Where's the beef?", "Reports of my death have been exaggerated.", "Who let the dogs out?", and "Cat's Pajamas".

Overall a fantastic book for either the budding or journeyman scholar.

Reviewed by Hershel Krustofski.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Books of the Bible for Dummies.