Nina's Reviews > Rainwater

Rainwater by Sandra Brown

2190147
Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: 3-5-stars, historical-fiction, so-sad, 1930s, favorite-couples
Recommended for: People who like bittersweet endings

I'm not one for romances, so when my mom (who only reads romance) said she had read a book by Sandra Brown I was a little hesitant. I was ready to give up on it before I had even started reading it, but I'm so glad I didn't.

It is 1934, Ella is a widow who runs a boardinghouse and keeps to a routine of constant cooking and cleaning, as well as looking after her undiagnosed autistic son Solly. When Mr. Rainwater rents a room Ella doesn't know that he and his secret, though it's not really a secret to the reader since we're told in the beginning of the book, will change her life.

Mr. Rainwater is very kind and gentlemanly but always seems to anger Ella by somehow upsetting her well ordered life. When Mr. Rainwater starts spending time with Solly he realizes Solly is not the town idiot that everyone believes him to be.Meanwhile all around them is the evidence of the depression and racism.

I loved this book, and I was very surprised by how good it actually was but I do have one negative thing to say and that is it needed an extra chapter or two. It's not a bad ending, though it is sad, it's just very abrupt.

I don't often cry while reading a book, in fact this is only the second time I ever have, so just be warned to have tissues.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainwater.