Cheryl's Reviews > The Fairy-Tale Detectives

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

Jan 26, 12

Read in January, 2012

As I read this for a group discussion, I realized I had read it already. I guess it just wasn't all that memorable. I know I'm not going to bother looking for more in the series. However, I strongly suspect that if I'd read this when I was 8 or 9 I would have given it four stars and wanted to read the whole series.

I guess I just didn't quite feel involved. To me it seemed like the author had an idea of what he could sell, but didn't really have the full heart behind the effort. And his vision of some of the characters just didn't match mine.

I will admit that it got more complex, and richer, towards the end. I loved Daphne, especially as I got to know her better. And the pig policemen turned out not to be simple stereotypes. And there was a reason the grandmother was all mysterious at the beginning, besides just a gimmick to make us feel as suspicious and hostile as Sabrina felt. But that old trope of getting into trouble because of not paying attention to the dog, well, that could have been skipped.

Well, bottom line is, if you want to read it, do so. It's short enough it's not much of an investment, and you might just love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fairy-Tale Detectives.