Sarah BT's Reviews > Clarity

Clarity by Kim Harrington

Mar 09, 11

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Clarity is a supernatural mystery that is an easy and addicting read that I think will appeal to fans of Meg Cabot. The writing and mystery reminded me a bit of Cabot's books and the banter is fun. The book is a fast read and Clare is an engaging character. She has a quirky family and she's easy to like and root for.

The mystery is a bit simplistic and I would have liked things to be a bit fleshed out more. Clare stumbles upon clues fairly easily and I wanted a bit of a more complicated mystery and puzzle to figure out. There's also a large cast of characters which means a lot of people to keep track of. Clare also has a lot of potential love interests for Clare, which I found a bit annoying, since she mentions many times that she's a loner and viewed as a freak at school because of her gifts. Sure, we have our love triangle, but I kind of hoped that her brother's best friend would become a possible love interest as well! It's also a bit convenient how the teens end up working on the case, but that can be overlooked fairly easily.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Clarity and I think it sets up what could be a great new mystery series. I really hope we see more of Clare. While it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and the mystery is resolved, the book does leave a few things open and I would love to know what happens next. It's easy to get pulled into the story and finish it quickly. I liked that while Clare has a psychic power, that's not the focus of the book, the focus is the mystery and her power aides in solving that. I also liked her relationship with her mom and her brother-I love great family dynamics in YA! I just hope that the future volumes in the series give us a more complex mystery.

Book Pairings: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting, Echoes by Melinda Metz, The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot, 1-800-Where R You Series by Meg Cabot, Touch Series by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clarity.

Lea (YA Book Queen) Totally agree about wanting Perry's friend to be a love interest for Clare - perhaps in future books? A girl can hope ;)

Nice honest review!

Sarah BT Thanks! A girl can hope, right?:) And I hope the future books have more mystery to them-I think the series has great potential