Karyl's Reviews > The Ghost Writer

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood

Mar 11, 11

Read from March 08 to 11, 2011

Growing up, Gerard is an extremely sheltered young man. His mother is afraid of everything and rarely lets him out of the house for fear something might happen to him. Her room is utterly off-limits to him, which makes him all the more curious. One day he finds a story hidden away in her room and reads it only to find it's a ghost story. Throughout his life, he finds more ghost stories, all written by the same person, which he later finds is a member of his own family. The stories, included as part of the novel, are all written in the Victorian gothic style, and as such aren't particularly horrific, but they are creepy. Finally Gerard realizes that not everything, or everyone, is as they seem, and finds himself as part of his own ghost story.

I really enjoyed this book. At first, I wasn't sure where it was going, but the more I read, the more I was sucked in to the world. I enjoyed the extra ghost stories added in, which surprised me because I'm not usually a fan of something that takes me away from the main plot line. I also loved the little detail of the stories being printed in a Victorian font, different from the rest of the novel, which for me added that little something extra and reinforced that these were stories written at the turn of the last century. I'm not sure I find the resolution all that plausible, however, though the rest of the novel made up for that one mildly irritating aspect.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost Writer.