Carrie's Reviews > The Cypress House

The Cypress House by Michael Koryta

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: arc-s-i-ve-won, books-i-own, first-reads
Read from March 08 to 19, 2011

Arlen Wagner has a gift. He knows when someone is about to die. He can change fate by stepping in and controlling the situation. When he sees death in his traveling companion, Paul, (and all those around them) he insist they leave the train they are traveling on and catch another. Since there is no train coming until the next day, the two set off for the nearest inn to stay for the night. While there, they become mixed up with some unruly locals that want more than anything to see the two men gone from their town. Instead of leaving the next day as they hoped, Arlen and Paul are robbed forcing them to stay longer to earn enough money for new train tickets. As they earn their keep and save, their eyes are opened to the ones who control the town and the inn (The Cypress House) where bad deals go down.

Before they know it, Arlen and Paul become more involved then they hoped. They must stop this corruption before what Arlen now sees in both their futures, death.

I thought this book had a lot of potential, I loved the idea, but it never fully came together for me. I was hoping for so much more. I liked none of the characters; therefore it was a struggle to get though. I think it could have used a few more edits to flush things out a bit more.

I won this book on first reads…Thanks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cypress House.