Debra's Reviews > The Killer Inside Me

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, sai-king-recommends
Read on July 17, 2011

Stephen King recommended author. In the introduction to Now and On Earth, Stephen King says he most admires Thompson's work because "The guy was over the top. The guy was absolutely over the top. Big Jim didn't know the meaning of the word stop. There are three brave lets inherent in the forgoing: he let himself see everything, he let himself write it down, then he let himself publish it."

“He was crazy,” Stephen King, a long-time admirer of Thompson, says. “He went running into the American subconscious with a blowtorch in one hand and a pistol in the other, screaming his goddamn head off. No one else came close.”

"My favourite crime novelist - often imitated but never duplicated – is Jim Thompson" - Stephen King

This was my first Thompson read and won't be my last. It was rough being inside the head of a sociopath; Thompson really puts you there. He justifies everything he does so easily with such twisted logic. Highly recommended. A short page-turner.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer Inside Me.

message 1: by Michelle T. (new) - added it

Michelle T. Wow Debra, it sounds really interesting. I'll be checking this book out... Thanks for the 411!

Debra Your welcome, Michelle. Hope you enjoy it!

Carac Allison “He went running into the American subconscious with a blowtorch in one hand and a pistol in the other, screaming his goddamn head off. No one else came close.”

What an amazing endorsement by the King!

"It was rough being inside the head of a sociopath; Thompson really puts you there."

I reread it recently but I've always felt Thompson is a writer you need to talk long breaks from. :)

C