Teel's Reviews > Full Share

Full Share by Nathan Lowell

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: downloaded, listened-to
Read from March 08 to April 01, 2011

It was a good book, but of the three I've heard so far, I felt this was the weakest - because the plot's trajectory was so obvious and methodical and plotted that it nearly became tedious. There was no tension where there should have been, no wondering what would happen, what would become of ... anyone, really, because everything was so broadly telegraphed.

That said, the characters are still (generally) strong, their interactions interesting, and since that was the backbone of the first two books (and remains a strong side player in this one), the story held my attention.

Alas, I'm trying to use listening to these books as a motivator to exercise regularly by only allowing myself to listen during my workouts, and because I already knew what would be happening next, where the characters' relationships were headed, et cetera, I skipped exercising on a lot of days during this one... In fact, a couple of times I found myself more interested in working out than in hearing the next episode, which was a bummer.

Hoping the next book is more engaging and less ... plotted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Share.

03/08/2011 page 3
1.0% "Just heard the first 2 episodes. Gradually working my way through this delightful series."
03/11/2011 page 5
1.67% "Episodes 3&4 really gave Ishmael the chance to do that hero-thing & exceed even the capabilities of the skilled, experienced, capable crew around him. Because he's the hero, and that's what happens in books. Good listen, but Yech."
03/20/2011 page 8
2.67% "Ep's 5-7 would have been more interesting if what's coming weren't so obvious to me."
03/21/2011 page 10
3.33% "Ep's 8&9 went as expected, but the mystery of the ship's failure has held my interest where "wondering" whether Ishmael would stay aboard did not."
03/29/2011 page 15
5.0% "I'm not sure I like how... plotted... this book has been. Or how obvious the trajectory has been at every step along the way."