matt's Reviews > A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: Text, Criticism & Notes

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

Aug 18, 2008

bookshelves: fictions-of-the-big-it, top-shelf, re-readers, eire, joycenalia, modern-library-100
Read in August, 2008

This is one of my absolute favorite books. Personally, it means a lot to me. I related to Stephen.

This lets Joyce do pretty much whatever he wanted for the rest of his career. Dubliners was his proving ground, establishing himself, and Portrait blows the doors open and takes it to an entirely new level.

Just experimental enough not to alienate the reader wholesale...and the triumphant experiments to come are only just getting started.

Everyone should read this before they turn, maybe, 25.

He nailed so much of youth that he would have easily gone down forever as a great writer were to have been hit by a bus or something. \

Gave modernism feeling and raw universal emotion and experience to modernity.

A bridgework of a book. A stepping stone for him personally and in the entire history of novels. And it can very easily to the same for you.

"Stephen Hero" is the discarded stuff he had originally put in when he wanted to make it more realistic. Check that out for even more pleasure.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Quotes matt Liked

James Joyce
“I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it calls itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defense the only arms I allow myself to use -- silence, exile, and cunning.”
James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

James Joyce
“His heart danced upon her movements like a cork upon a tide. He heard what her eyes said to him from beneath their cowl and knew that in some dim past, whether in life or revery, he had heard their tale before.”
James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man