Katie's Reviews > Still Waters

Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: school-reading-2011-2012
Read on December 30, 2011

Still Waters is definitely a creepy book. It manages to be creepy but at the same time was fascinating.

Hannah was a character that I really liked. It took me a while to warm up to her but after awhile I was rooting her own, hoping that she could get out of her situation alive. Yes, there are tons of life and death situations in Still Waters. Colin was a crazy character. I think that's all I'm going to say about him. He and Hannah make a great couple when he wasn't acting really weird.

At first I thought Still Waters was going to be a lot like Frost by Marianna Baer. Mainly because both characters are living in a creepy old house. But, thankfully, Still Waters has nothing to do with the house, well mostly.

This book is really addictive. I found by self racing through the pages of this very short book because, well, I had to know what happened to the characters. There were some moments in Still Waters where just the plain creepiness drove me to read. It could be a little scary at times, but only a mild scary. It was just creepy.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. It was just really abrupt. Something happens and then its just over. One of the characters, not a main one, has this crazy reaction to what happened and it is never explained. The books just ends a few pages later. An epilogue might have been helpful, too. It was just very frustrating because I didn't feel like all the important questions had been answered.

Still Waters is a fascinating read, mainly because it offers a real reason for the craziness of a character and no supernatural aspect is even mentioned. If you want a creepy read that isn't too scary than this is the one for you. I can't wait to see what else Berne does!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Waters.