Matt's Reviews > The 42nd Parallel

The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos

Feb 13, 2008

bookshelves: fictions-of-the-big-it, america-f-k-yeah, historical-fiction, underrated-lost-classics, red-menace, re-readers
Read in August, 2007

Manic, vibrant, socially conscious, epic, crowded, busy, sweaty, angry, clear-eyed idealism, rowdy, tragic, subjective, objective, infinitely small, buzzing, slashing, eponymous, snide, pathos, scattershot, fecund, inspirational, landmark, surging, colorful, explosive, magnificent.

I'm almost holding back on the next two installments since I don't want to be dissapointed. This one's a corker.

The first two pages is some of the greatest prose I've ever laid eyes on. What I hope will be my life's philosophy and burns alive in my eyes every time I read it.

I read it to most of my friends and there was little reaction. They are all very literate and extremely intelligent. Disheartening.

But I am truly glad some have seen fit to mention it as being in the running for "Great American Novel".

It won't make it, I think, compared to some of the other contenders. But, it guarentees literary importance and a niche that will never dissapear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 42nd Parallel.