Carol's Reviews > Elizabeth Bishop and The New Yorker: The Complete Correspondence

Elizabeth Bishop and The New Yorker by Elizabeth Bishop

Mar 12, 11

During one of my trips to Key West, a woman who was selling jewelry at Mallory Square said she lived in Elizabeth Bishop's house. I was not at that point very familiar with Bishop, but I thought that since I fancy myself a writer and Key West is one of my favorite vacation places, I should read more of her poetry.

Bishop is now the author of one of my favorite poems, One Art (http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/pr...). She occupies a perfect middle ground between my college-era favorite Marianne Moore (in fact, they knew each other well. "Friends" sounds like it would be a bit of a stretch to describe their relationship, but they certainly admired each other's work.) and my current favorite poets, Sharon Olds and Kay Ryan.

What I learned from reading her correspondence with various New Yorker staff was how gracious Bishop was about accepting advice from editors. Talk about One Art! I think we romanticize writers that say, "I wrote it and now it is perfect." I recently read a compilation of interviews with Katherine Anne Porter, and this was her attitude. But Bishop's correspondence shows that it is not a sign of weakness to take direction. Her letters also prove that people will always argue over commas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth Bishop and The New Yorker.