Ashton Hero's Reviews > Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer

Manhunt by James L. Swanson

F_50x66
Mar 09, 11

Read from March 08 to 09, 2011

Chasing Lincoln’s Killer is one of those books that strike your attention and then you almost have to read it.But the book has its up and its downs. The book exaggerate an little, but the book can be superior. In the book Chasing Lincoln’s Killer, is both exciting and humdrum. At the begging of the book, it does get very interesting. The lead is very descriptive on how Booth is going to kill Lincoln. For example, in the book it says “Booth and his henchmen planned, like highway robbers, to ambush Lincoln’s carriage at gunpoint on a deserted road as he rode home to the Executive Mansion.” At this point I am thinking that the book should fairly acceptable.
James L. Swanson is a reasonably good writer. He can draw attention to the reader. I think he did a very good job on keeping the lead good. But at about the middle of the book, it starts to drag off on the excitement. The book had everything on the killer of Lincoln’s killer. Booth, hated the 16th president of the Untied Sates. So he planned to kill him. Along the way, he gathered other henchman's to help him finish the job with him. While he killed Lincoln at Fords Theater, other assistants would kill the vice president and the Secretary of State.
The whole entire book was about 190 pages. From about pages 5-100 were extremely swell. The pages were all about Booth planning and killing the president. Once he killed the president, he had to bail, and do it fast since witnesses had seen him. But on the plus side, he had successfully killed Lincoln, but now he worried about how the other companions did, and what had happened to his leg. His leg was on fire. He had to see a doctor but he had to get away all in one. So he did not worry about it. Since he got away without anyone following him down the road, he had to wait at H street for his other allies. None of the accomplices showed up so Booth decided leave. While no one knew about the assassination.
Booth had gotten a person to hold a horse Booth had gotten to escape faster. After getting out of the ally quick, he hopped on the horse and rode away to H Street where all of his henchmen and him were going to meet up after all of the assassinations. No one showed, so Booth thought it would be a good idea to leave H Street and go on without anyone with him. How do you think that would end up?
While reading this book I realized something. I now understand that historical fiction is made for people who like to read about history and fiction all in one book. I am in that category. If you are one of those people who like to read things like this, I advise you to read this great book! The book could have had a little more detail on what Booth was thinking when he was about to kill Lincoln. But over all, the book is great pleasing. I would like to read more of James L. Swanson books! My impression on him now is wonderful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhunt.