Alexa's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Mar 22, 2011

Read from March 17 to 22, 2011

I thought this was a beautiful book. I loved how the two stories intertwined. I did not like Julia, which was sort of an issue seeing as how she is the main storyteller. I adored reading Sarah's parts of the story and was disappointed when the part from her point of view ended, though the end was fitting. I felt that, while Julia's journey was very interesting, she was not a person I would ever want to spend time with. She was so filled with self pity. And while her husband wasn't exactly a stellar guy, I did find myself liking him, wishing he were in more of the book, and certainly feeling sorry for him when Julia selfishly won't *spoiler* give him the time of day regarding his opinion on the baby, which was absolutely justified. I liked the people Julia interacted with, which is what made her part of the book bearable. The history was fascinating and certainly something I knew nothing about, and it definitely gives me a lot to think about because I had family who lived through the Vel d'Hiv roundup. Scary stuff. Gorgeous story, aside from Julia being too woe-is-me for my taste.

Time for a happy book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.