Lexy's Reviews > That Summer

That Summer by Sarah Dessen

Mar 08, 11

Read in January, 2011

Sarah Dessen is my guilty pleasure. I read Just Listen the spring I turned 13 and fell in love. I read Dreamland the next year and was completely blown away. I always put down a Dessen novel already missing the characters and they world they live in. It's so much easier to pick up where I left off with a new book because of the fact that all of her books (that I've read) are set in the same town, and often feature characters, however briefly, from her other books. It feels like coming home.

The thing I very much enjoyed about That Summer, however, is the exact opposite of why I very much enjoy all of Sarah's other books: the main male character turns out not to be so perfect. And though it feels like she does, the main character/narrator of the novel, Haven, doesn't actually need him around to survive. Sure, he gives her great advice. But he is human. He has flaws. And Haven doesn't end up dating him. He's more of a big brother than a love interest. As corny as this sounds, one of the reasons I like Dessen so much is because her books give me hope for love and romance. A lot of the time I feel like I need a boyfriend, when all I really need is a friend that I can talk to.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Summer.