Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Hexed

3197948
Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: anthologies, urban-fantasy
Read in July, 2011

Hexed is an urban fantasy anthology that features novellas by Ilona Andrews, Yasmine Galenorn, Allyson James, and Jeanne C. Stein.

Andrews's story, Magic Dreams, focuses on Dali Harimau, a shapeshifting tiger, and her quest to save Jim, the man that she loves, when a spider-like demon infects Jim and tries to take over his body. Iris Kuusi, a Finnish sprite, is looking for redemption and a chance to discover what really happened to her former lover in Galenorn's Ice Shards. Janet Begay, a Stormwalker, must keep her wits about her when she and her friends are trapped in her hotel in James's Double Hexed. And in Stein's Blood Debt, vampire Anna Strong tries to save a kidnapped man and is judged on some of her past actions by a group of mysterious beings.

I like anthologies because you get to try several authors for the price of one book. I almost always find one or two authors that I want to read more by, and this book was no exception.

I liked Galenorn's story the best. I'd never read her before, and I thought her writing was just excellent -- vivid, lush, and descriptive. She really transports you to the frozen land where the story is set and packs a lot of world building into this novella, which is part of her Otherworld series. What really happened to Iris's lover was a little predictable, but I definitely plan to read more books by Galenorn.

Andrews's story was also entertaining, and I thought Dali was the best character in the anthology. She's smart, sassy, sarcastic, and vulnerable all at the same time. Plus, I enjoyed the different cultures and mythologies that were featured in the story. I read the first book in the Kate Daniels series, and this novella reminded me that I need to get caught up on Andrews's books.

However, I didn't enjoy the other two stories quite as much. I thought the idea of Stormwalkers and the Southwestern setting in James's story was really cool, but you don't get to really see any of the scenery since Janet and her friends are trapped in the hotel for most of the novella. For me, those kind of locked door stories usually work better in murder mysteries. I would have liked to see Janet out in the elements mastering the storms.

The same thing is true of Stein's story. I think I would have liked it better if it had shown me more of Anna's regular world, friends, etc., instead of transporting her to this other dimension where she doesn't know the rules and isn't quite sure what's going on.

Overall, though, this is a solid urban fantasy anthology with a variety of styles, characters, and creatures. Check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jess Characters name is Dali Harimau - the proof reader in me is peeking out :P

Jennifer Estep Whoops. Thanks for letting me know.

Jess Too easy :o)