Keith's Reviews > On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore

On the Edge by Brian  Bagnall

M_50x66
Nov 24, 09

Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

Some of the reviews I read of this book lead me to believe it would be more focused on the business side than the technology side. I was presently surprised that I felt it was 70% or greater about the technology. Having had a C=128 and using the heck out of it and having admired Amigas and their uses (but never having owned one,) my look at this book may be a bit biased.

From the technology side: for those who think they know how the personal computer space started, this book provides a different point a view from the very Apple and MS-centric stories you normally hear. Commodore definitely deserves our praise every time we use cheap PCs at home, as they were the progenitor of "computers for the masses." I was really entertained learning about the personalities that come up and developed the technology behind commodore and in the amazing amount of time they did it. Because I am the geek I am, I did easily identify with many of the people and I fondly remember using the technology they came up with.

From the business side: Its really illustrative of what someone with a vision can drive people towards. It also clearly illustrates how when the vision goes away how the waters get muddied quickly. There's also lessons to be learned in not screwing people you need to succeed and maintaining a good relationship with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Edge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reed (new)

Reed Martin Would you be up for selling me your old copy? For some reason the price on this book on Commodore, on Amazon is literally $50.00. Thanks, reedmartin@live.com