Amy's Reviews > Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: fv-review, ppb
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 03, 2012

Held captive and tortured for information in an overseas prison, Nathan Kelly believes he may be facing his final days of life. Two things keep him in survival mode – the hope that his brothers of the KGI/Kelly Group International (private hostage/kidnap victim recovery group) are close to finding him and the soothing, comforting voice that now speaks to him in his mind. Shea Peterson has a unique gift of telepathy. Additionally, she is able to use this connection to draw pain from the people she links to and take the physical pain within herself. She shares this gift with her sister Grace and is able to connect and heal random people. Shea has made a direct connection with Nathan and has begun to feel his agony, fear and physical torture while being held captive. She knows that he is quickly loosing hope of being rescued or escaping so she begins to talk to him and encourage his will for survival. Naturally, Nathan believes he is finally loosing it, but she assures him she is real and more important, that he is not alone. Once Shea is able to gain enough information about Nathan’s surroundings and how to contact his brothers, she sends an email informing them where the prison is located and that Nathan is running out of time. With Grace’s help, Shea is able to aide in his escape, but then her communication with Nathan ceases. Six months have passed and Nathan is no closer to putting the pieces of his life back together since his return. He feels a deep sense of loss within himself and continually seeks solitude from his concerned family. After numerous attempts to connect with Shea again, he begins to question if his “Angel” is indeed real. Then out of the blue Nathan feels her presence. Disoriented, terrified and needing his help, Nathan finally connects with Shea and finds that she has escaped the confines of the people that are after her and her sister due to their extraordinary gifts. Nathan hops on a plane to rescue her. When he arrives and they finally stand face to face, Nathan is relieved to touch her and confirm that she is indeed real. He believes with all of his heart that she is meant to be his and will now do everything in his power to protect both Shea and Grace from the enemies searching to capture them both.

When the KGI series started, it was portrayed as a solid romantic suspense genre. Although Ms. Banks continues to deliver a driven, suspenseful story, the paranormal addition has me cringing. The telepathy was used to form an instant connection, attraction and commitment to both characters even though they had no idea why it worked between them, particularly when they had no prior history with each other. Ms. Banks used this gift to establish an immediate “we are soulmates” type feel that lead to the early “I love you, we are meant to be together” mentality of both characters and therefore resulted in a sappy, sweet union that was entirely unrealistic. When I say sap, I mean like dripping out of a pine tree. It was too perfect and unfortunately for me, became a cheesefest that was beyond believable and extremely disheartening. I literally was asking myself, where did this plot come from and why go there? While I am not washing my hands of the series, I am highly disappointed. Ms. Banks’ saving grace is the family bond and emotional connection she has created within the Kelly clan which comes from well established characters that I became invested in from book one. I can only hope that we get back to the basics with how this series started, otherwise, many like me will continue to be dissatisfied.

Favorite Quote:

“He pulled her against him, enjoying the sensation of her bare flesh against him. He loved her smell. How silky her skin felt against his fingers. How she was plump in all the right places. He loved every curve and swell. How delicate she appeared and yet she was a force to be reckoned with.”

Originally posted at http://www.fictionvixen.com/2012/01/r...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in the Dark.