Linda Leaming's Reviews > Thus far and no further

Thus far and no further by Rumer Godden

Mar 08, 11

read count: I don't remember!

This is one of my favorite books EVER. I read it over and over, although it's such a simple little book. Godden and her two daughters go to live for a time in Rungli Rungliot, near Darjeeling in Northeast India. It's dated, given all the Raj Era talk about servants, but if you can overlook that part a little, you'll read it with delight and wonder. Godden has been described as a "writer's writer," I guess because she's so deft at conveying a sense of place, and with such an economy of words. You can "see" where she lives in the hills of Darjeeling, her somewhat palatial though rudamentary house, the army of servants, the endless tea, the mountains. It's the most picturesque book I've ever read; she is such a good writer with marvelous sensibilities and I try desperately to be like her in my own writing. You can read this book in one sitting. But during that brief time you will be transported to India during WWII, to a magical, isolated, and beautiful part of the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thus far and no further.