Amanda's Reviews > She Walks In Beauty

She Walks In Beauty by Siri Mitchell

Mar 10, 11

Read from March 08 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

I enjoyed She Walks in Beauty from beginning to end. It was fun to imagine life as a privileged debutante in the late 19th century in New York City. In She Walks in Beauty, Clara Carter is forced to debut a year earlier than scheduled due to her family's attempt to reclaim its honor (a.k.a. money) from the most sought after bachelor in the city. Clara faces the challenges of meeting either her family's expectations or the desires of her heart. This was a book I could not put down!

There's much to learn when reading historically based fiction. Through Clara's eyes, I learned about the pressures women faced during her era, and let me say, I am happy to live in the 21st century! I also learned about the torture that was the female corset and about something I'd never heard of before, a pessary. It was hard to believe the truth behind Siri Mitchell's research and when she noted that pessaries could be obtained by prescription or by mail order through the Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog (location 3443-45 on the Kindle version), I decided to look one up in the Sears catalog archives on Ancestry.com. ... Scary stuff.

(This book was free on the Kindle and still is as of the date of this review.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Walks In Beauty.