Patrick's Reviews > Galatians: Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching

Galatians by Charles B. Cousar

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: bible-nt
Read from March 08 to June 10, 2011

This is the first book in the Interpretation series I've read, and I was impressed. In preparing for a class I taught on Galatians I read through this commentary and John Stott's Bible Speaks Today commentary. While not indulging in the technical aspects of exegesis, Cousar identifies and explores the dominant themes of each section and does a fair job suggesting their relevance today. I rarely read commentaries all the way through, but I did with this one.

Two downsides, though: first, Cousar is slightly theologically liberal for my tastes, at least in his applications (i.e. on Galatians 3:28). I would have enjoyed a comparable commentary by someone more conservative. Still, I think he is immensely fair with his exegesis.

Second, this book is nearly 30 years old, and thus was not able to take advantage of three decades of the most recent scholarship on Paul, particularly discussions of the "new perspective." I haven't read anything else by Cousar, but he strikes me as someone who would write the commentary quite differently in light of the new perspective if he were rewriting it today.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galatians.