Amy Jacobs's Reviews > Miles from Ordinary

Miles from Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in March, 2011

After reading the summary on this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. What was Lacey's Mother recovering from and what is Lacey worried about? Yet, as I read the book, I didn't worry about the reason so much and just enjoyed the writing that the author was telling.

Lacey is worried about starting her first day as a volunteer at the library. Her mother is also starting her first day of work at the local grocery store as a checker. As you read the book, you can feel the intensity of worry and anticipation from both of the characters. You actually feel the pain that both characters are going through because of the beautiful way the author wrote the book.

At first I was a little confused about Granddaddy. I wasn't sure if he was a figment of the imagination or if he was a ghost that was haunting them. What is great about the writing is even if you are wondering these things, you don't really try to work them out in your head. You just simply accept what is written and keep going through the angst, drama, hope and love.

If you are looking for a book that will capture your interest, even without you realizing it, then this is the book. A great look into the world of mental illness and the effects that it can have on a family. Beautiful writing that will capture you from the first page up until the end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miles from Ordinary.