Eric's Reviews > Atlantis Found

bookshelves: action-adventure-thriller
Recommended to Eric by: Eileen Buscemi
Recommended for: Dirk Pitt fans
Read from March 07 to 21, 2011 , read count: Once

Of the three Dirk Pitt novels I've read, this was my favorite. I would even give it 3.5 stars if I could.

That being said, it still had its share of problems (spoilers follow):

- Why were the Fourth Empire so obsessed with keeping the Amenes' civilization a secret? Since their attack had nothing to do with another comet hitting earth, as the Amenes predicted, it seems absurd that they would go about killing people that found an archaeological dig from that time. It doesn't even make that much sense why they would be interested in them in the first place, other than the obvious connection that their secret base is located in the Amenes' Antarctic ruins.

- On a related note, why were they so intent on killing Pat O'Connell at the Colorado mine, only to later kidnap her and keep her alive? Only because it suits the needs of the plot, as best as I can tell, as they could have easily kidnapped her in Colorado in the first place.

- Why must Clive Cussler insist on writing himself into his books? At best, the practice is mildly irritating, but when he is the third act's deus ex machina, it is absolutely intolerable. Not to mention that he refers to himself as "Dad", which is gag-inducing.

Unrelated and potentially uninteresting fact: This is the fourth consecutive novel I have read where Matthew McConaughey played the book's protagonist in a movie adaptation -- Mickey Haller in The Lincoln Lawyer and The Brass Verdict, Jake Brigance in A Time to Kill, and now Dirk Pitt here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlantis Found.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Couldn't agree more with Cussler writing himself into the books. I read Inca Gold and it really irked me when he showed up. I'm not rushing to read any more Cussler/Pitt as they're too annoying

Eric Yeah, I've stopped reading the Dirk Pitt books, as I don't really like the hero or the writing, but then my Dad, who loves Cussler, got me to try a different series, Spartan Gold, and lo and behold, he wrote himself into that one as well. The writing was a bit better though, which I suppose I could credit the co-author with.