Judy's Reviews > Desperation

Desperation by Stephen King

Mar 21, 11

Read from March 08 to 21, 2011

At times I felt myself immersed in it and at other times I was bored. The book is about a Cop in a small dessert town that is taken over by a demon (or some sort of evil entity)and then wreaks havoc on the inhabitants and a few people driving by. It was kind of fun at first. I liked the dessert setting of the book and I also liked the character of the cop and how he's completely taken the law into his own hands. King doesn't stick with that character, however, as the demon changes bodies. I think I was a bit disappointed with that. I was really invested in the cop and then King just discards it and has the demon inhabit the body of a housewife. It seemed like such a weak choice. The cop was scary, strong and seemingly had the law at it's disposal. The housewife, was... well, a housewife who suddenly has superhuman strength (kind of comical really).
I have rarely found a Stephen King book to be scary and this is no exception. I was a bit surprised at the religious aspect of it. The story was very much about having faith in God (It was very predictable in this regard). There were numerous Bible references and, of course, the Lord's Prayer. Overall, not horrible but, not particularly great either.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperation.