Luann's Reviews > The Dialectic of Sex: The Case for Feminist Revolution

The Dialectic of Sex by Shulamith Firestone

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: sisters-are-doing-it-for-themselves

I can't say what the relative merits of this book are -- I can only say that when I read it as a teenager I couldn't begin to understand half of what she was saying and yet it somehow changed the direction of my life. I wanted to understand. I wanted to respond to the anger, the power, the independence portrayed within its mass-market bindings. I hid it in my underwear drawer, next to the pilfered pack of Winstons I'd stolen from my Dad, so my mother wouldn't get that sad, nervous look on her face, like I hated her because I wanted something different; like I'd go off to college and get too much education and forget about God and start taking drugs and date inappropriate people and never come home and not end up being a missionary or a Gospel singer.

And come to think of it. That's pretty much what happened. Thank you, Shulamith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dialectic of Sex.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren This is something I've always meant to read. so interesting so see your comments.