Christine's Reviews > Ghost World

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Mar 08, 11

Read in March, 2011

I'm the first to admit, I don't read a lot of graphic novels. But Ghost World came recommended to me by a friend and I thought, why not.

I love how this is a coming of age story with an authentic teenage voice. Enid's struggle to find her identity had me laughing out loud in some areas and wanting to cry in others. The changing of her outfits was the externalization of her trying out different facets of her growing personality, not all with successful results.

Her relationship with Rebecca had that wonderful push/pull that young women go through as they try to figure out what they want from life. When they realize their lives are going in two different directions, you can almost feel their sadness, even though they never come out and state the approaching change. I had a clear recollection of my own teen years and how I knew some of my friends weren't going to be with me in the long haul.

I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more by Clowes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I had a student who wrote an essay about this book and how much it affected her. I'd forgotten all about it until I read your review! I'll have to check it out. My daughters would probably like it as well.

Christine I was really surprised at how good it was, considering how simple it appears on the surface. Lots of small details really stuck in my head. Certainly something I'd want my girls to read when they are older.