Beth's Reviews > Still Missing

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, read-on-kindle, march-2011
Read from March 16 to 23, 2011

Really liked this. Dark and gritty, perfectly-paced (neither too fast or slow). Annie is a fantastic main character and I love the fact that she was so fierce and strong but not in an "ooh look how feisty she is" way. Really well-written too. I found the flashbacks disturbing but not in a gratuitious or overly explicit way. Stevens has good restraint and subtlety as a writer. Two things I really didn't like was the progression of the sexual relationship between Annie and Gary; I wanted to see Annie move on, but I would have preferred it if she'd stayed away from having Annie and Gary rip their cloths off, and just given the suggestion of a relationship that was going to develop. Also, I didn't like the fact that Annie told Christina her baby's name at the end of the novel; I get what Stevens was trying to do, but I would have preferred it if Annie had told Christina what it was, but the reader hadn't 'seen' it, i.e. we just knew that Annie had shared it. Kind of like in "Elsewhere" by Gabrielle Zevin, when we never find out what Owen and Emily's baby would have been called.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Missing.