Annie's Reviews > Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson

Mar 12, 11

Read from March 08 to 12, 2011

I enjoyed this a lot, but in a kind of disgusted way. It was really interesting (I learned a lot about politics). It was also pretty depressing (I learned a lot about politics). I do really enjoy Hunter S. Thompson's crazed writing style, and the fact that he doesn't really mind offending people and will tell it like it is regardless makes it probably more of an informative book on this election than you might find elsewhere. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you're a Republican, but in that case I doubt you're reading HST anyway...This book was originally written as a series of articles in Rolling Stone covering the Presidential campaign from the primaries to the conventions to the actual election, so if you know basically nothing of the election (like I did, not having been born yet!), it's pretty interesting to see how the whole thing developed. I think if I had be alive and voting in 1972, I probably would have just given up and never voted again. It's almost 40 years later, and I feel Fear and Loathing just reading about it. I think a lot of the reason this book kind of upset or demoralized me is that many of the things HST said about politics in the late 1960's/early 1970's are still applicable, and it just gets disillusioning to realize that no matter how you vote and whether or not your candidate wins, it pretty much comes out the same anyway.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.