Almeta's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Mar 08, 2011

bookshelves: in-a-land-far-far-away, revue
Read in May, 2011

Loved the folklore and was (as inteneded) irritated by the dangerous village gossip.

Really enjoyed the biographical stories of the characters of the butcher, the apothecary and the hunter. Needed more of that! (view spoiler)

And here, I have to confess, that I never solved the "mystery" (view spoiler), and I know that I was supposed to. I skimmed back through to find the person connected with the clues and did not make the connection. I think it is clever that the person, although discovered, is not named by the author...but it would be even more clever if I could! Someone let me know what I missed?

Beautifully descriptive writing style. An author to keep an eye on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.

Anne I missed it too. I was sitting there wondering what the stories about the deathless man and the tiger's wife actually had to do with anything. But I still liked it!

Marie the only thing that seems to connect the stories is that the deathless man is the herbalist that "steals" Amana from Luka, the butcher. he saves her by breaking the cup, but then his uncle takes her and curses him. the tiger's wife is Amana's sister, and she only ever encounters the tiger and natalia's grandfather because her sister ran off with the doctor who becomes the deathless man. the clue is in the conversation the deathless man has with the grandfather around pg 185.

Almeta Hmmmm, will have to re-read around page 185.

But (view spoiler)

Barbara McVeigh For answer, go to the bottom of this page and click on the discussion question, "The Deathless Man?". See Vasha7's explanation.

Yara The "mora" was Barba Ivan. He kept on collecting the coins and paintings left at his son's grave so that his wife would not lose her faith and feel comforted that the grave is clean.

Rebecca Marie wrote: "the only thing that seems to connect the stories is that the deathless man is the herbalist that "steals" Amana from Luka, the butcher. he saves her by breaking the cup, but then his uncle takes h..."

Wow, I would have never figured out that the deathless man is the herbalist that "steals" Amana from Luka; I am so glad to know that. Did you just figure that out on your own Marie or did you read it in a discussion guide somewhere? We are about to discuss this book Sunday night in my bookclub, any other insights would be helpful!

message 7: by Almeta (last edited Oct 19, 2011 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta Yara wrote: "The "mora" was Barba Ivan. He kept on collecting the coins and paintings left at his son's grave so that his wife would not lose her faith and feel comforted that the grave is clean."

Thank you Yara...That is the answer I was looking for and it actually fits with some of the clues.

Now everyone is confusing me about the deathless man...I thought I had that one resolved!!!

Debra I remember thinking that the Deathless Man was the one who saved Amana from imminent death and stole her heart. And I'm glad I was paying attention at the end and was able to guess the identify of the Mora. I agree that the grandfather should have been the narrator of the story. The granddaughter and her friend didn't seem to be very important.

Connie (Ava Catherine) Almeta, giving this one a try. Thanks for the review. ; )