Louise Fisher's Reviews > Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer

Shackleton's Way by Margot Morrell

Feb 12, 2008

Recommended to Louise by: my father
Recommended for: any
Read in January, 2008

Awesome book for those who love a great story about endurance and admirable leadership qualities. This guy got all of his crew out of probably the biggest quandary I can think of. They were stranded at the South Pole for nearly two years and never lost hope about their chances of survival. Shackleton did the impossible by constantly supporting and guiding his men through a perilously long journey. They never made it to the South Pole but they lost their boat when it was crushed in the ice and had to hike to the edge of Antarctica and sail to Elephant island. From there they still did the impossible by navigating to another island about 500 miles away without any real navigable instruments. Once they got there they hiked over the length of the island to finally catch up to the whalers who were awed at the sight of them. Loved the book because of the leadership lessons of always caring more about your men than yourself which helps me in my daily interactions with my soldiers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shackleton's Way.