Danger Kallisti's Reviews > Sputnik Sweetheart

Feb 12, 2008

bookshelves: po-mo-craziness, must-read, dyke-stuff
Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 2007

A story of wistful beauty, love, and longing. A strange “through the looking glass” tale, told from a unique perspective. Not only was this a beautiful piece of writing, but it was full of things I love – lesbians, unrequited love, Beatniks, magic... Also, it didn't read at all like a translation, which really impressed me. Now I'll have to read everything else I can find by this writer.

“And it came to me then. That we were wonderful traveling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits. From far off they look like beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they're nothing more than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we'd be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sputnik Sweetheart.

Quotes Danger Liked