Ruby's Reviews > Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

Obviously I'm a glutton for punishment. Even though I was bored by the first book I still read this. Maybe because it required very little mental exertion on my part to get through? Maybe I'm just a masochist?

The thing that annoyed me most about both books is that neither character seems hugely disturbed after finding themselves in completely different time periods and cultures. There's the obligatory "this must be a dream" and some idle curiosity following the realisation that it's not but nothing more. At least in the last book Courtney had some idea of what the 19th century would be like. In this, Jane can't possibly have known just how different the 21st century is to the time she came from - and yet she casually accepts the existence of cars, skyscrapers, computers and phones with nothing more than a moment of wide-eyed amazement. Moreover, neither woman really comes out as an individual, they more or less fit right into the life of the other - getting along with their friends just fine so that no one really notices a change, apart from a change in manners.

The explanation behind these two women swapping bodies across hundreds of years is still disappointingly vague, being left to some half-explained mystical magic mumbo jumbo.

I had my expectations set very low for this book... and I was right to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict.