Deb's Reviews > The Hidden Gallery

The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Wood

Mar 14, 11

Read from March 07 to 14, 2011

You know what there is far too little of in fiction these days? Wolves (not your shirtless teenage werewolves -- proper wolves) and children raised by wolves. Also, there is a dearth of plucky governesses. Thank goodness for Maryrose Wood's new The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place. The Hidden Gallery is the second book in the series, and in it, we find plucky Penelope Lumley, governess and graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females (could such a lass be described as anything other than plucky? I think not), and her charges, Alexander, Beowulf and Cassiopeia Incorrigible, in the bustle of London. There they meet a playwright, a mysterious Gypsy fortune teller, a band of rogue actors, a judge who's not really a judge and the mystery surrounding the Incorrigibles' origins deepens.
I love how clever these books are -- clever without being all show-offy about it. The series owes much to its predecessors (Lemony Snicket, Joan Aiken, Lois Lowry's The Willoughbys, Charles Dickens) but doesn't pander to them, nor do they talk down to their readers. I'm eager to read the rest of the series. After all, the hunt is on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Gallery.