J.C.'s Reviews > The Body

The Body by Stephen King

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: movie
Read from March 07 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

I feel like I just watched an audio-only version of the film "Stand By Me". Which makes sense as this was the original story that inspired the movie. And its surprising how much the movie not only followed the original story, but captured much of its spirit. Certainly the King version is much more vulgar and up front, but the wonder of youth and the harsh reality of time is there, in the film.

I've always wanted to read this. I've always been a huge fan of the film and was always curious as to King's take on it. Much of King's material goes back to a group of kids, a pack, going through some kind of bizarre adventure. One only has to look at "It" and "Dreamcatcher" to see this. Both are very strong tales, some say his best (I've only read Dreamcatcher, FYI), and that is the same case here.

The one thing I will say that seperates the tale from the film is the ending. It's much broader here, more real and more heart breaking. I wont spoil it beyond that point. But, even though I hate to see things turn out in such a fashion for those characters, it makes sense to me. I think it's logical given the theme of the story and I don't think it's harsh or cruel or out of context.

If you enjoyed the movie or enjoy King's work this is another that I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body.