Jess's Reviews > Colters' Daughter

Mar 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, maya-banks
Read in March, 2011

I have mixed feelings about this book. This is about Callie, the daughter of Ryan, Adam, Ethan and Holly. Callie is upset over a recent heartbreak and is just starting to move on with her life when Max walks back into her life. She responds by punching him in the face and then crying. Max insists that he can make up for his past mistake with her and that together they can get over the past and move on. Callie agrees, but Max has one condition. While they work on their relationship she must resume her sexual relationship with him. Callie begins to accept Max into her life again, and then receives disturbing information about Max's true intentions. Can she get over the heartbreak, is Max the right man for her?

So let me begin by saying that this book is not a menage book like the others in the series, but instead is D/s book. This book very much reminded me of Banks' other book Sweet Persuasion (but a little more diluted). So if you liked that one, you will probably also like this one. While I thought that most of the sex scenes were hot, I was also a little annoyed by the D/s relationship taking place. I've never minded BDSM, or spankings and such but the submission aspect does get on my nerves a bit. Although Callie accepted having her life completely taken over by Max, I had a hard time accepting that that is what she truly wanted. Why would anyone want to kneel down before the couch and be fed by hand while her hands are tied behind her back. But that's my own personal limitations I guess. So for that reason I couldn't rate it higher than a 3. Another reason, I felt that there was so much deceit and lies to overcome that the ending seemed to happily ever after for me. I know Banks' books are always pretty much HEA, but this one was a little hard for me to swallow.

Other than those two things, I still enjoyed the book and the majority of the sexual aspects of it. I also really liked how the other characters were still very important to the story. So, in other words, my dislike of the D/s relationship aspect of this book will not stop me from reading others by Banks, or another book in this series. She is still a favorite author of mine.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colters' Daughter.