Kassel's Reviews > Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 07 to April 24, 2011

I really enjoyed the tips on organization and Oxenreider's encouragement was enough to get me started on my living room and kitchen. I've modified the tips to fit my needs and current lifestyle (as in don't have time to do a deep cleaning) and they've been helpful. I'm not super holistic about cleaning products; I'm okay with purchasing Windex, Clorox, or whatever to clean my bathroom. The book's kind of "granola" but there are plenty of practical tips that make this book worthwhile for the granola and non-granola alike. (No, I won't be making my own toothpaste and deodorant.)

Oxenreider's strengths lie in the fact that she is flexible with her recommendations to her readers. She admits that there will be days of discouragement during cleaning because of the overwhelming feeling. She does not expect you to be an organizational maven right off the bat. She admits (especially in the last chapter) that it's a journey and it will take some time and the reader must be flexible with how the journey twists and turns.

The worksheets are helpful and can also be downloaded from her site at http://simplemom.net/tools/downloads.

I originally borrowed this book from the library and returned it then purchased my own copy. I'm so thrilled that I did. Organized Simplicity is that rare, practical book that will become a timeless classic for me. I plan on pulling this book out once a year to make sure that my family is meeting its purpose statement and once every few years for a deep cleaning and decluttering of our entire apartment. I HIGHLY recommend this for anyone looking for practical life and home organization tips.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the chapter on cleaning kids' bedrooms because I don't have any children so it was a useless chapter for me so I can speak to how good the tips are but my assumption is that they're probably good since she's spot-on with the rest of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Organized Simplicity.

03/07/2011 page 30
12.0% "Very interesting approach to living simply."
show 5 hidden updates…

Susan Thanks for your review! I read her blog and am now adding this to my list.