AH's Reviews > The Restorer

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: ghosts, zzread-august-2011, paranormal, own, babr-reviews
Recommended to AH by: Michelle r
Read from August 16 to 18, 2011

Eerie, haunting, and definitely spooky, The Restorer is unlike any ghost story I’ve read before. The Restorer is part ghost story, part murder mystery. There’s a touch of voodoo and witchcraft in it along with a mysterious secret order. Add in a pretty eccentric cast of characters and there you have it – a compelling read.

Amelia Gray sees dead people. She’s seen them for most of her life. Amelia follows a strict set of rules to help her cope with her ability so that no ghost will attach to her and drain away her energy.

Amelia’s chosen occupation is rather unusual. She cleans up old abandoned cemeteries. Amelia is well known in her field and blogs about her work. She is known as “The Graveyard Queen” by her fans. Her work also attracts the attention of the Charleston Police Department and she is hired on as a consultant.

John Devlin of the Charleston Police Department is Amelia’s love interest. Devlin is haunted by two ghosts and Amelia is torn between breaking her strict rules and falling for Devlin. Devlin has some sort of effect upon Amelia and she is physically drained after spending time with him.

There is so much to love about this book. The writing style is lovely, evoking images of the steamy South. The main characters were surrounded with a quirky ensemble of secondary characters that ranged from humorous to dark and downright evil. The main character was so different from the usual heroines in this genre. She was practical and efficient rather than kick ass. Devlin provided strong support, yet he had his own past to deal with.

I loved this book and I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series, The Kingdom.

Check out my review on Badass Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Restorer.

08/17/2011 page 42
11.0% "Cool...She sees dead people..." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs. (new) - added it

Mrs. Badass I have this, haven't read it yet so many books

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Last night I reorganized my Goodreads shelves and divided up my owned shelf to owned, and owned-not-read. Then I discovered this book and had to read it. I loved the prequel.

message 3: by Mrs. (new) - added it

Mrs. Badass can't wait to read your review!

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Loved the book. Spooky, eerie, nice mystery to it. Probably will write it this weekend.

Rane This is one of my favorite books this year.
I truly enjoyed how the author painted the sultry southern spooky setting and the characters were just perfect- bummed that the next book doesn't come out till next year! *tears tears*

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Rane wrote: "This is one of my favorite books this year.

I know! I hate waiting! It'll be worth it, I'm sure.

Katyana This sounds awesome!

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Katyana wrote: "This sounds awesome!"

I really enjoyed it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Very cool!! Awesome review.

That kind of reminds me of that book I read with THE LITTLE KITTEN OF DEATH in it... what was it called? Oh yeah... "Her Fearful Symmetry".

That book was interesting if you like graveyard books ;)

Plus.. there's the little kitten of death in it ;) That's always a plus ;P

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Greta. A little kitten of death? I'll have to look out for that one.