Annalisa's Reviews > Snow Falling on Cedars

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

542037
Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: literary, mystery-thriller, movies, historical-fiction, psychology
Recommended to Annalisa by: Kristi
Read from March 01 to 08, 2010

As this story unfolded, I found myself sympathizing with all the characters: Kabuo's prideful endurance of racism, Ishmael's broken spirit, Carl's position between his defiant mother and what he knew was right, and Hatsue's pull between youthful romance and the expectations of her culture. What touched me most was Ishmael's story, his broken heart and his fear in war. I felt so sad for him.

The fog-covered island was a beautiful setting for these rich, interlacing stories of people trying to make sense of what the war had done to their lives. I could feel the emotion in this community that pulled me back into the '50s where veterans could not forget the war nor could interment camp refugees forget their wrongs. Combine the laconic personality of fishermen with an era known for putting on your best face and all these underlying currents of hate and resentment are bound to explode.

I found myself going back and forth about my suspicion of guilt as the mystery unfolded. The pacing of the mystery was well done. I did however find myself skimming overly descriptive, or even re-descriptive paragraphs, and some of the repetitive trial dialogue. I think the book could have been shortened by a good hundred pages, all that lengthy description of boats and houses and ceders, and still been powerful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Falling on Cedars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

amy gretchen I've always been drawn to this book because of the title. Of course, the cover isn't half bad for drawing you in. I'll have to put it closer up on my to-read list.