E. Anderson's Reviews > My Misadventures as a Teenage Rock Star

My Misadventures as a Teenage Rock Star by Joyce Raskin

Nov 08, 11

Read from July 07 to 08, 2011

This great new tween novel from Joyce Raskin is a refreshing YA debut for all the girls out there who would rather rock along than passively listen. (Or maybe also for the girls who want to read about the rock life, the punk life, the straight edge life. Those girls would like this book, too.)

MY MISADVENTURES AS A TEENAGE ROCK STAR is written by a woman who knows rock-n-roll. Joyce has been in bands, has rocked along with the boys, and even includes a section at the back of the book on learning to play guitar and writing lyrics.

But, more importantly, MISADVENTURES s the story of Alex, a girl who doesn’t fit in, who isn’t cool, and who more than anything just wants to kiss her crush. That is, until her brother’s friend asks her if she wants to learn bass and be in his band. Turns out, Alex is a natural, and it’s not long before she’s light her local scene on fire with her seriously rockin’ skills. Told in a series of vignettes, we follow Alex as she learns about having to rock twice as hard as the boys, as she adopts the straight edge (no drugs, no alcohol) lifestyle, as she both falls for and dumps her first boyfriend, and as she makes the friends she never really had at her school. We also see her rise to success — success that she finds just by being who she is and working her butt off.

While you will probably find this book shelved in your teen section, I think plenty of tweens (11-13) will enjoy it as well, and in fact are its target audience. Yes, the book references swears, sex, and drugs — but its voice is quite young (Alex is barely 14 for most of the book) and it is full of positive messages for young girls. The sparse text and fun illustrations make also make MISADVENTURES a perfect book for reluctant readers.

Joyce Raskin‘s girl power debut is definitely one I’d like to see in classrooms and on school library shelves, as well as in the bedrooms of soon-to-be rocker girls nation- (and, well, world-) wide. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to see what Ms. Raskin cooks up next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Misadventures as a Teenage Rock Star.

07/07/2011 page 1