Kate's Reviews > The Other Woman

The Other Woman by Jane Green

Feb 22, 08

bookshelves: anglophilia, books-i-own, chick-lit-women-s-lit, fiction, humor, books-read-2008, women-s-issues
Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Jane Green's The Other Woman is the story of Ellie Black, virtual orphan in London, who meets Dan Cooper, a handsome single guy with a family Ellie's been dreaming of.

Until their wedding is announced and Dan's mother becomes a complete nightmare. Linda takes full creative control of the wedding and when it's over and Ellie announces that she is pregnant, things go from bad to worse. While Ellie could have taken the bull by the horns and confronted Linda, she never does, until a terrible accident forces things to come to a full stop.

I really like Jane Green. I didn't find Ellie to be one of her more sympathetic characters and I felt like a lot of her problems were brought on herself. And after a while, Ellie completely over-exaggerated Linda's behavior, and I myself wanted to smack her upside the head and tell her to relax a little. Fortunately, Green inserted Ellie's friend Lisa to do it for me.

It was a good, quick read, and a book that I enjoyed. I skipped to the end to see if there was a happy ending, and I must be frank, usually if I do that and I find out that the book has ended in a way that seems a little too "this" or a little too "that", I'd quit. Even though the ending was a little too "this", it's a testament to Green's writing that I finished anyway.

And anyway, isn't "this" basically what I read chick lit for?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Woman.