Kristi's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

Mar 08, 2011

liked it
Read from March 07 to 08, 2011

I read this book in one sitting. Couldn't put it down. It was such a small, rivoting book and the diary format made it a breeze to sail through. If only I could beleive it was from the diary of an actual teenager. It just didn't ring true. The writing seemed too high-functioning and too advanced for a 15-year-old strung out girl. It read as if an adult was pretending to be this person, and the evidence over the past forty years leans toward that. Even so, this was a horrific look at drug addiction in the early 1970's. It effectively captured the torment of teen years, especially in the early seventies when society was so close minded. You just could not walk up to your parents or a teacher and discuss this type of stuff. This character broke my heart and I could relate to all the insecurities of being a teenage and that profound, constant desire to try and fit in and find yourself...or long to escape from every instance of emotional pain. It was eye-opening as I currently raise a pre-teen in 2011 and remember the intense jumble of feelings that rage in the teenage mind in any decade since the beginning of time.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.