Tommy's Reviews > The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

Mar 07, 11

Read in March, 2011

This filled an incredible void in the narrative surrounding regime change and the purposes behind little understood institutions like the IMF, World Bank, USAID, etc. It was my senior year in high school during the Seattle riots and very little was done to explain them or put them in context. I had never heard of these organizations and few people could actually explain anything more than they were bad or shackled developing countries coming out of regime changes with huge debts, or allowed corporations to exploit countries for cheap labor.

This book helped fill in some of the blanks in my knowledge on some of these organizations as well as the active role corporations and economic policy plays in US intervention. These issues have been largely left out in the educational realm and public discourse regarding the politics of the US fight and fear surrounding the expansion of communism in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

I think some of the conclusions at the end about the potential pushback against Friedmanism were a bit premature, especially following issues after this books publication like "too big to fail" corporations, decreases in regulation and prosecution for fraud, increases in speculation in markets, especially related to commodities, increases in corporate money in politics after the Citizens United ruling, the rise of the tea party, increased attacks on unions and collective bargaining, etc.

The remaining question will be if it takes thirty years for the US populace to figure these things out and respond as it did in South America, and what our world will look like if it does.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shock Doctrine.