Brian's Reviews > The Price of Everything: A Parable of Possibility and Prosperity

The Price of Everything by Russell Roberts

Mar 07, 2011

bookshelves: economic-prices
Read in March, 2011

I loved this book, it will probably be a front runner for my favorite book of the year, though the year is young. Here the author explains how prices keep the free market in tune with the needs of the consumer.

There are books galore about this subject and I haven't read many but the thing that made this stand out is the story format along with several teaching dialogs between teacher and student. It held my attention throughout, with many of the dialogs drawing mental applause, with the AH-HA moments helping my understanding immensely.

This book will poke a lot of holes in the slander from the anti free marketers who bloviate endlessly about how unfair the free market is to poor people. I don't recall the author letting any of the standard objections to capitalism get by without being discussed within the dialog setting. This book could be read by teenagers on up without to much prior knowledge of economics. I'm seriously thinking about buying a couple hard copies as loners. In the book, Ruth (the teacher) said that the least amount you'll get from studying this stuff is the ability to make an informed decision at the polls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Everything.