Jessie's Reviews > So Much for That

So Much for That by Lionel Shriver

F_50x66
Mar 07, 11

Read in March, 2011

OK, this one was really problematic for me - while it was pretty compulsively readable, there were many, MANY things that made me angry about this book. I didn't like most of the characters. I thought many of them were at least somewhat cliched. I felt like we see the same old same old arguments trotted out about health care, about taxes, about... all sorts of things. I felt like the book was REALLY sexist - women like men who are a little forceful with them. Girls get fat and stupid when they have low self esteem; boys become computer geniuses. If we all just lived a simpler life with simple people, things would be so much better! In some ways, this novel did touch on a few interesting and thorny subjects: are we too afraid of dying? is it worth the money and expense to fight what is almost definitely death just to stay alive for 3 horrible months? But I'm not sure that this book helped me think about these things in any different ways, and instead just made me angry at a lot of the characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much for That.